How can I confirm a new user’s email address?

0 votes

Some users may want to spam or cheat in my game by creating many user accounts with fake email addresses. I need to be able to prevent this. Therefore...

I know App42 User Service has userService.authenticate(), But this a check for when the user wants to use a service, or log in. But when a user first creates a user account and enters his email, how can I send an email to the email address he just entererd, and in the body of that sent email is a link that the user has to click to show that he is indeed the owner of that email address?

asked Aug 5, 2014 in App42 Cloud API-BaaS by huffman (17 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

Hello Huffman,

You can share the verify link using our Email Service. In which, you can specify an event that when user open that link, you trigger an event where a json should be inserted in the App42 data base with emailVerified is true along with user info.

So that, you can easily validate at the time of login that if emailVerified is true in App42 data base,  allow user to login into app else redirect into verified process.

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks

answered Aug 6, 2014 by hs00105 (517 points)
Yes that sure helps. You guys got everything! Thanks again.
Thanks.

I don't understand the part about specifying an event that firew when the user clicks the verification link in the verification email that I send to him...

Where/how do I setup this event? Is there an api for that?
Hello. Can you please tell me more about how to specify an event.
To specify an event you can create a HTML5 page. In this page on Load Event you can use the Storage Service from JS SDK of App42 to post the data on cloud.

You can host this HTML5 page in our CDN using file upload from AppHQ console. (Technical Service > File Upload) and can use this HTML5 page URL in your email.

Let us know if it helps.
I was successful using App42 Email Service with emailHost = "smtp.gmail.com" but Google flagged me:

Hi Dan,

Someone recently used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account tokyodan1@gmail.com. This person was using an application such as an email client or mobile device.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:26:26 AM UTC
IP Address: 54.185.76.81 (ec2-54-185-76-81.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com)

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately.

Reset password  

If this was you, and you are having trouble accessing your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at http://support.google.com/mail?p=client_login

Sincerely,
Hello Huffman,

Thanks for sharing the details with us.
These are the warning from google and you have accept it from your account setting that it was mine.
Kindly find the below link for more details and let us know if you have more question for us.
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1144110?hl=en
Download Widgets
Welcome to ShepHertz Product line forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from the community. You can also reach out to us on support@shephertz.com