Usernames with swear words

+2 votes
Is there any built in method to prevent people from creating user names that contain swear words?
asked Apr 25, 2014 in App42 Cloud API-BaaS by Martin Horn (66 points)

1 Answer

+1 vote

Best answer
Hi Martin,

Currently we are not supporting this feature. We will consider this feature request and if it's required we will add in our pipeline.
answered Apr 25, 2014 by naresh (350 points)
edited Apr 26, 2014 by naresh
Many thanks,

I'm just a little concerned that the leaderboard for my game could become littered with unsavoury names (knowing a little about human nature), and as it will be marketed as suitable for young children as well as adults, this could present a problem.

If I'm not mistaken you already have a mature language filter for your chat system, and it seems to me that it would make sense to be able to hook into that if possible.

Depending on when and if you implement something, I may have to come up with my own system to monitor what names are allowed.
Hi Martin,
You can use our Custom Code Service (http://api.shephertz.com/app42-docs/custom-cloud-service ) .So you  can call createUser in custom code only if the username sent from the client doesn't contain swear words. Else fail the client request from his custom code.
Hi Naresh,

thanks for the advice, your supplied link doesn't work, however I found this, http://blogs.shephertz.com/2012/12/27/writing-custom-code-your-code-our-cloud-2/ which seems to have a good example.

Bearing in mind that I'm not familiar with eclipse and Java programming as I use Unity and c#, would there be any major disadvantage in implementing the language filter in my app rather than on your cloud service?
Hi Martin,
Sorry for bad link I am updating the link, please check its working fine.

Yes, if you are implementing the language filter in your app its pain for you whenever you want to change on your language filter logic you must giving new build on your existing users. If you want to write a filter in cloud service no need to give new build on your users because it's directly change in your app.You just update your cloud code.
Hi Naresh,

yes that makes sense, I didn't think of that. Looks like I'll have to learn how to use Eclipse and Java at some point then :)

Thanks for your help.
Ok. great :-)
Download Widgets
Welcome to ShepHertz Product line forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from the community. You can also reach out to us on support@shephertz.com